1. Hi Maria. Tell us about yourself. Give us your 60-second elevator pitch….
My name is Maria Gill, I am 22 years old and I absolutely love being active and playing sports! I just graduated from Queen’s University with a Bachelor of Physical and Health Education and will continue my studies this fall pursuing a Masters of Teaching at the University of Toronto. I have always loved playing and coaching basketball. This will be my first summer at True North Sports Camps and I am super excited to be part of such an amazing team!
2. Why do you like working at summer camps?
Every day you get to share your passion and learn from the campers. There is no other place I would want to be!
3. Why do you believe in advocating for youth sports?
Some of my favourite memories come from playing youth sports. They are a great way to make new friends, challenge yourself and have lots of fun! Additionally, engaging youth in sport provides a great foundation for continuing healthy lifestyles.
4. What is your most memorable moment as a player?
My most memorable accomplishment as a player was attending the 2014 CIS Final Eight Playoffs with the Queen’s Women’s Varsity Basketball Team. It was amazing to play with some of the best female basketball players in Canada.
5. What advice would you give to high-school athletes who are considering playing a varsity level sport at University?
Play for the love of the game and remember to have fun!
6. You’ve also coached a high school basketball team in Kingston while attending Queens. What have you learned since becoming a coach? Why do you enjoy coaching?
From coaching, I have learned that you have to value each player’s individual skills and play to their strengths. Coaching provides the opportunity to share my passion for basketball and help players reach their own basketball goals.
7. Who is your favourite athlete?
Currently, my favourite athlete would have to be Bismack Biyombo! He really stepped up his game this past NBA playoff season and brings a positive attitude to the game.
8. What is your favourite sports movie?
I would have to say, Bend it Like Beckham. It was one of my favourite movies growing up and has remained at the top of my list!
9. If you could have lunch with any 3 people, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
I’m a Harry Potter Super Fan so J.K Rowling is my number one choice! I would also love to hear more about the start of Disney from Walt Disney himself. Also hanging with Elvis and hearing about his journey through the music industry would be pretty cool.
10. If you could order any lunch to camp, what would it be?
Nothing beats pizza!
11. What is your favourite concert that you’ve attended?
Seeing Lights with my sister was a blast!
12. Who is your favourite super hero?
Captain America! He has such a great story!
13. When you put ketchup on your fries: on top or on the side?
Always on the side!
14. Is a hotdog a sandwich?
Nope, completely different category.
15. Why is Basketball Camp going to be so amazing in 2016?
Such a great group of people have come together to create an unforgettable camp experience! There is a great balance of coaching, competition and of course, lots of fun! We incorporate something for every camper!